Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Corduroy Curtains Version 2.0







Remember my post from a few weeks back in which I featured these fetching corduroy curtains designed by Billy McCarty, the late designer who at one time worked for David Hicks? Well, Ashley Hicks was kind enough to comment on the post, writing that the curtains' borders have been reincarnated in some of Hicks' recent work. The curtains were to be thrown out by the new owners of the home seen above, but fortunately their decorator gave them a stay of execution and decided to keep them. She was kind enough to later give them to Ashley Hicks, who has used the trim on his "Lonely Guy" sofa and in his London bedroom. I recently read the Hicks article in the latest issue of World of Interiors, and I never made the connection between the decoration on the sofa and the McCarty designed curtains above. What a great way to recycle those curtains, don't you think?



In this image of Hicks' "Lonely Guy" sofa, you can get a good look at that geometric trim. It's nice to finally see the trim's color. (This photo, taken in Hicks' Oxfordshire home, is from his website.)




Simon Upton's photo from the January World of Interiors shows a different view of the sofa and trim.

11 comments:

  1. That stylised architectural plan is really excellent, (in your last picture). It really is so very "Hicks".

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems to be rare that the offspring inherits the decorator parent's design aestethics, but I think Ashley Hicks will prove to be even more talented than his famous father.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michele from Boston9:51 AM

    This has been a week of serendipity! I agree that Ashley is getting more like his clever father as the years go on and has developed a look of his own to admire. Thanks for the WOI pic. I can't take my eyes off that wall treatment juxtaposed against the black room beyond. Wonderful how the recycled trim was used to such striking and sophisticated effect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "A stay of execution", I love that ! It looks really good on the sofa too. I think it's interesting that the valance is 3 rows of the trim plus bullion, can't say that I've ever made anything quite like that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this story - and of course love how Ashley so successfully and chicly recycled that fabulous trim!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Agreed. Ashley may be more talented than his father. What a great post and what a wonderful WOI article. So innovative and fresh while remaining so English! Ahh, to be a Hicks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The cuorderoy curtain borders leave a little smile in my heart. Love them and find the black and white image to be beautiful! I also wanted to let you know that I've tagged you with the "Stylish Blogger Award" and although I hate to ask people to check out my site (not so tactful), if you'd like to "accept" the award and see what it entails, just follow my signature to my blog and there you'll find a link to your blog and more info. Thanks for the curtain (and couch) border/trim inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful stream of connections--I think that "flow" had something to do with it. I do love the color.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used to see this in my grandma's house. I find it really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love to have that mirror. It is such a beauty

    ReplyDelete
  11. That David Hicks knew how to have a good time. the photo with the "x" on the carpet, wall and drapes i something only he could get away with.
    I am always on the look out for great drapes and they are getting harder to find. But when you do come across those that were decorative they carried off the room, oh, now that is a pillow person's dream.

    ReplyDelete